Saturday, March 30, 2013

Superhero Saturday: Wendy

This is long, but worth reading. We all have challenges that we face, some more than others. I am in a fitness group here on Facebook that has women who deal with bigger obstacles than I can imagine. I will be asking them to share their stories on my page periodically to help the rest of us motivated. These gals really have to work hard for every positive change in their bodies. If you have a... big obstacle you're working to overcome, please let me know so I can share it on my page!

First up is my friend Wendy at www.facebook.com/tweakmyphysique. She is 35, in surgical menopause, and fighting an uphill battle to improve her physique AND overall health. Here is her story--just read the first three lines--you will want to read the rest.

It all began on November 19th, 2010. On that day, my life forever changed when I found out my mom had stage IV ovarian cancer. She died 19 short days later. Three days before her passing, we found out that she carried the BRCA 1 mutation. It turns out that her testing two weeks prior would be the biggest gift of life she has given my sister and I, aside from giving us life of course. BRCA 1 is a genetic mutation that gives you an 87% chance of breast cancer and 50% chance of ovarian cancer. But she passed away from ovarian cancer you ask? Yes, and her mother died at the young age of 38 from breast cancer. My precious mom was only 8 years old when her mommy died.






So back to the BRCA 1 test. As soon as my sister and I could pick up the pieces of losing our mother suddenly, we tested for the mutation. In January of 2011, I found out that I also carried this mutation and my sister does as well. This is when you hear about women making drastic measures to removed their breasts and ovaries before they get cancer. At first, I chose the path of surveillance. I felt like I lived my life in 6 months increments. After a scare on my ovaries, I decided to take the plunge and remove them. On July 8th, 2011, I had surgery that removed my tubes and ovaries thrusting me right into menopause. No if's, no and's, no but's! Full fledged menopause with hot flashes and everything that can accompany menopause like insomnia. If you know me, you know I'm a researcher! I researched how to combat the risks I now face. See, I reduced ovarian cancer from 50% down to a small chance of peritoneal cancer. However, I gained the risks of cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, weight gain and much more. My mom had osteoporosis with her ovaries so I knew the chances were even greater for me. My solution: LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS and CHANGING MY DIET! Health and nutrition was already important to me but I still had a lot of work to do!








In the process and journey of lifting heavy and eating clean, I fell in love with weight lifting and the fitness industry! Everything is much more challenging for me than the average 35 year old female who has her ovaries. But I'm up for the challenge. I would be remiss if I didn't mention another life altering surgery I endured. On November 16th, 2012, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Once again, I threw myself into the researching process and ended up traveling to a renowned surgeon in San Antonio, TX who did an amazing job! Any bit of estrogen that I had residing in my breast tissue was suddenly gone. I wasn't prepared for a further emotional roller coaster but I got it. I'm still working through it all! If I can inspire one woman to get fit and healthy then it's all worth it! If I can help one woman find out she too has the same genetic disposition I face, then I have done my job!




In April 2013, I had a couple of set backs. I found out that I have osteoporosis. What?!? At 35?!? Needless to say, that was a tough week for me but once again, I am pulling up my boot straps and getting mad. Mad enough to fight even harder. The following week, I went to a naturopath doctor. I knew with hashimoto's, mast cell syndrome and now osteoporosis, all had to be related somehow. I was right. I'm not really absorbing nutrients that I put into my body and have many food allergies. This could be it! The reason I have been so frustrated in the gym! It is very common with people who have auto-immune diseases (hashimoto's). Yet again, my mountain just got bigger. But also the way I look at it, I'm that much closer to figuring it all out! In fact, I think I am getting the pieces to the puzzle put together and it's going to show me an amazing picture of success! I will be working closely with my doctor to treat all of this over the next 6-12 months and I actually couldn't be more excited. It's all coming together now! Hashimoto's coupled with mast cell syndrome and osteoporosis. I have full blown celiacs disease! It just took me 35 years to figure it out! The strict gluten free diet is going to be hard but I can do it. With the help and support of you! It's often that I will get a message from a follower telling me how inspiring my story is and how it's helped them personally and touched them in some way. WOW, now that inspires me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment