Saturday, April 6, 2013

Superhero Saturday: Megan (MEE-gan)


“Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!” (1 Cor. 9:24)

 
It’s an early Saturday morning in Spring of 2005. I love the smells, the sounds the feeling of newness, of the world waking from its slumber. I hop out of the truck. I’m at my favorite place to run. The local lake, otherwise known as the city’s water supply, has a jogging trail, places to fish and toys for kids to play on. Once on a run, I found two baby turtles. They were the size of quarters. So cute.

 I proceed with my mental pre-running checklist. If you run, you know the list. Check the watch, music, shoes, adjust clothing, make sure hair is tight, put on sunglasses, bend over to do a worthless stretch of the hamstrings and off you go.

 About 20 steps into my run, my legs get completely numb and tingly. It was that feeling legs get when they are asleep and you move them. That sensation, it’s almost a burning feeling. After a few minutes they wake up and the tingling is gone. On this morning, just moving my legs, just planting my feet sent that sensation from hips to toes. It was extremely painful.

I went home.

 
“All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.” (1 Cor. 9:25)

 
It’s a hot August day in Oklahoma in 2009. My husband, my mom and I are sitting in a little room of a neurosurgeon. We are making small talk. The kind of talk people do when they are nervous. The Doctor comes in, starts talking and I stop listening. I just wanted him to say, “Yes, you have MS” or “No, you don’t have MS.”

Four words later, I’m driving home in complete shock. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I cry so hard the tears stop flowing. Part of me was completely scared and part of me was relieved. I had been searching for so long for a reason I was unable to run or even walk fast. Soon after my diagnosis, I began my medicine. Every day, I inject myself with what I call liquid gold, due to the cost. After three months, my issues were gone! We had been waiting on a diagnosis so that we could see what we were up against because we wanted to have more children.

It was after the birth of our third child, that I got extremely sick. For me, I get better while pregnant. My energy is up, my symptoms disappear, and I feel great. After I have the baby, my body revolts, it turns on me big time.

 


I resumed my meds and this is where things get good.

When our third child was 10 months old, I did my first race. I competed AND completed the Warrior Dash. I was able to run again! My life, every step became a mission. I was running to win. I was running to show everyone, including myself, God is Good.

 
 

Then we got pregnant with our fourth child. (I promise I won’t write that anymore.)
 

 
All throughout the pregnancy, I was working out. I didn’t do that with the previous pregnancies. After our son was born, I got right back on the liquid gold to avoid any relapses.  As hard as that was because I had to stop breastfeeding, it has been the best decision.

 In January, I competed in my first sprint tri. What an emotional day that was.

 


I ran five miles a few days ago! FIVE! I haven’t been able to run that far since 2005.  

 
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. (1 Cor. 9:26)

 
Some days are hard as I deal with immense fatigue. I might get dressed to go to the gym and that’s as far as I get. I deal with dizziness and mild tingling, but have learned some of the triggers. The summer is really hard. If I get too hot, I get really sick. I also have to monitor my body heat while exercising, but I get my body. It speaks loud and clear at times. Then there are days where I have bouts of energy and I run five miles!  One thing is certain, when my feet pound the pavement or the treadmill, I run differently. I don’t run because I feel like it. I run because I can. I run because it is a gift. I run because it is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment