Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Secret of My Success


How do I stay motivated? 
 
Well, to put it simply, I don't.
 
Motivation does not wake me up at 4:00 every morning.  Setting my alarm wakes me up.  Motivation does not help me get dressed and get out the door.  Setting my clothes and gym bag out does that.  Discipline is what helps you succeed.  Motivation is merely what gets you started.  It doesn’t last.  Looking at ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos on Facebook is great, but only works for a moment.  Inner drive—wanting it so bad that failure is not an option—THAT is what will help you succeed.
 
If you are counting on motivation to get you in shape, you will fail.  Motivation is an emotion, and emotions are fleeting.  Our society, unfortunately, is one that is ruled by emotions.  We do things because we feel like it, or avoid doing things because we DON’T feel like it.  I haven’t been successful in life because I’ve done the things I’ve felt like doing.  I’ve been successful because I’ve done the things I really didn’t want to do.  I’ve done the things I was afraid to do.  I’ve done the things that I knew I just might not be able to do. 

I am writing this because if I said it to everyone who said, “I lost my motivation” or “I just can’t get/stay motivated”, I’d pull my hair out.  And I’d never stop talking because I encounter those people ALL the time.  Heck, I’ve BEEN one of those people!  I lost motivation so many times and quit that I just got sick of myself, got sick of quitting, and finally said ‘enough is enough’.  I still fail, but I don’t quit.  I still backtrack, but I don’t quit. 

I KNOW that I will reach my goals only because I refuse to give up on them; I refuse to quit trying.  If you’re reading this and you’re looking to all these Facebook pages for motivation, please do yourself a favor and stop.  I’m not saying to stop looking at them—after all, I love seeing before and after photos as much as anyone else—just please stop looking to them to keep you motivated.  Have a heart-to-heart with yourself about what you want and why you want it.  And how badly you want it.  And what you’re willing to do to get it.  I have some pretty lofty fitness goals, but I know that my relationship with Christ comes first, and my family comes second…everything else comes after that, including fitness. 

So make a pact with yourself to quit quitting.  Quit looking for external motivation.  Decide what you want, and then go after it.  Don’t be motivated.  Be disciplined.  You can do it, but will you?   

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    This was awesome!! It is so nice to have someone speak what they feel and in fact is the truth!! As a personal trainer I see so many of my clients looking for a person they want to be like, when in reality I tell them, they need to look to themselves and ask why I am doing this and for whom am I doing it for. I look at photos and say, Wow, i would love to look like that, but it has also taken me awhile to realize I need to focus on "me" and what it is I want and that I need to know that I may never have Jamie eason's arms, but to make goals for me and to always work for them..never giving up or in :)Motivation is def what gets you to do something, but you have to want it so bad that you do what it takes to get you there..if you try something and it does not succeed, try again until you do!

    I am also a christian and he comes first, followed by my family..so fitness is a huge part of my life, but I will never sacrifice either one for the sake of fitness. I have learned that the only way to be successful is to always stay true to who I am and to be a child of God's..in everything I set out to do!! If I don't have him, I truly have nothing!!

    Best of luck to you...God Bless and thanks for the inspiration! I love reading your posts!!

    Kim Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful article. Motivation doesn't last long that I agree. But we have to keep it alive for as long as possible in order to make our dream become reality. Because, it the motivation only which drives your action. You wake up after your alarm clock, but what makes you get up of your bed is something called, motivation. If you're motivated, you are ready to take challenges.

    Best Regards,
    Mark Duin
    Motivational Speaker

    ReplyDelete