Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Perfect Shirt

About a month ago, I went to Old Navy and saw a shirt in there that I instantly fell in love with. It was a beautiful color, perfect for spring, and I could just see it looking perfect with my new pair of skinny jeans and some short boots. Those who know me, know that I rarely dress in anything but workout clothes, so I decided to wait and make sure I REALLY wanted that shirt before I shelled out $30. Today I have a girls' night out with some friends, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to stop by Old Navy and buy that shirt. I've been thinking about it for weeks now, and what better opportunity to buy something cute? I'd convinced myself that it was worth the money and that I would get plenty of use out of it, so I stopped at Old Navy with two of my littles and went in to find the shirt. After looking for a few minutes and not spotting it, I grabbed some similar shirts and decided they might make a passable substitute. But then, a few feet away, I spotted something in the right color on the clearance rack! Could it be!? It was all by itself in a sea of blacks and greys, so was it really supposed to be there or did someone just stash it there? I walked over, cautiously optimistic about what might be the brightest part of my day...or the biggest letdown. (I know it's pathetic how worked up I get over one article of clothing, but hey, we live on a budget, and I don't shop much!)
I got to the clearance rack and saw that it was indeed the only one there. AND it was my size. AND it was marked down to $9.97! AND there were no rips, tears, holes, or marks on it! My heart danced a little. I was almost giddy! I headed over towards the fitting rooms to try it on real quick just to make sure it fit well.

It didn't.

I was awful.

Truly, truly awful.

Not even worth $9.97.

I was crushed. I thought I'd hit the mother lode, when in fact I had been dreaming about something that just wasn't a good fit for me at all, not even when it was a bargain. As I left the Old Navy parking lot empty-handed, I thought about how often we chase something we THINK we want. We're just sure it will be a perfect fit for us when we finally get it. But oftentimes, in the end, it wasn't meant for us at all. A reminder to be careful about what we think about and what we pursue. It's not always as great as what we think it will be! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment